Friday, April 15, 2011

Stitches Day 3

On Tuesday morning when Ethan got up he had redness around his eyes, on his forehead, and on the bridge of his nose. Plus the swelling had got worse. :( I definitely knew I was going into the doctor's office as soon as they opened...I didn't care if they all thought I was nuts. ha! You know in your mommy heart when something isn't right!! So I called at 9:00 the second they opened and left right away. As soon as Dr. Lane saw Ethan, before we even made it to the exam room she knew he had an infection. She got the admission paperwork faxed over from Floyd filled it all out and sent me on my way so we could get right in. I wasn't even sure at that point we would be there over night but it ended up being two nights. I was just completely in shock any of this had happened! How in the world did this happen? Dr. Lane said she has seen this with just a splinter or a little scratch...I guess bacteria could have got in at any time. She said it was a traumatic stitch up with so many of us holding him down...maybe then? Of course then we had to glue it...maybe then? Or really, even the germs on the slide I guess could have got in. Who knows? She said it was cellulitis, a bacterial infection. After googling it, I read it can be caused by strep or a staff infection so if Braden really had it, or Ethan, maybe that was a possibility. I guess we'll never know. Anyways, they put him on an antibiotic (clindimiacin) every 8 hours through his IV. Thankfully we didn't have to leave him hooked up to the IV pole at all times. I can't imagine that with this busy boy! Really none of these pictures show his redness and the swelling....I needed my good camera to show it but I wasn't really in a picture taken kind of mood. :) Ethan LOVED the two wagons in the hall. We probably took 100 rides! Poor baby was exhausted! My mom drove down the second she heard we were going to the hospital. She was a big help with entertaining Ethan. After a few hours, Ethan thought he owned this place! He'd hang in the halls with "his" wagons and his new friends the nurses, then cruise back in our room and back out again. It was nice because there were no other patients at all around us. Papa T and Mimi came to visit...Ethan enjoyed some cozy coupe rides with Papa
Then Gma Cindy and Braden came to visit. Ethan was missing "bubby." :)

1 comment:

the lewis gang said...

poor little guy! i can't even imagine. you had to feel so scared seeing him so swollen. you are such a good mommy and even is such a brave boy!